UnderstandingGroup and Leader
The course, Understanding Group and Leader (UGL), has been used as a basic leadership course within the Swedish Armed Forces for more than 20 years. In recent years it has also become popular and widespread outside the Swedish Total Defence Establishment.
The UGL course is one working week long (5 days). The location for this course is the beautiful Näsby Castle, in Täby, 15 kilometers north of Stockholm. Näsby castle offers a perfect setting and environment for UGL, with newly renovated rooms, excellent food, and friendly service. Food and accommodation between Monday morning and Friday afternoon is included in the course fee.
The overall objective of UGL is for the participants to become more effective as group members and leaders.
UGL provides training in how a group develops and matures over time, what happens in the group during the course of this development and what promotes or inhibits constructive development. Within UGL, this is referred to as group dynamics.
UGL also deals with the problems and possibilities of leadership related to the development of the group’s maturity, and which style of leadership will promote both task solving and group development.
The course is held in Swedish:
4-8 December 2017
5-9 March 2018
9-13 April 2018
24 May-1 June 2018
6-10 August 2018
3-7 September 2018
15-19 October 2018
3-7 December 2018
The course is held in English:
23-27 April 2018
10-14 September 2018
19-23 November 2018
The course is executed in collaboration with Här och Nu.
What you learn
Learning occurs through experience of situations reflecting group dynamics and understanding your own role in these, i.e.
- Experiencing an experiential (experience based) learning model
- Increasing insight into your own personality
- Being able to identify and handle conflict
- Being able to communicate in a direct and clear way
- Being able to give and receive effective feedback
- Being able to recognize different phases of a group’s development
- Understanding that there is a need for different leadership styles
- Increasing self-confidence and self-insight