Senior UX Specialist (TEC0003U)
Are you passionate about creating products and services which are enjoyable and easy to use? Do you want to work at the world’s leading provider of information solutions that enhance the performance of science, health and technology professionals? Join us!
ScienceDirect is the world's leading collection of scientific information on the web and Elsevier's flagship product. ScienceDirect delivers over 14 million publications from over 3,800 journals and more than 35,000 books. We’re in the process of replacing the web site from the ground up with a new technology platform so we can test new ideas, be more innovative and respond more quickly to rapidly changing customer needs. We are building new agile teams, so this is an opportunity to be part of a fast-growing cross-functional development group and a chance to help shape its culture.
You will be joining a UX team in our Amsterdam offices to help deliver a high volume, high availability and high performance web site. This is an exciting opportunity to play a leading role in changing the way that online products are designed and delivered within Elsevier.
The ScienceDirect UX team is a multidisciplinary design team of 14 people including User Researchers, Interaction Designers, Visual Designers, Prototypers based in London, Amsterdam and Dayton. We design UX solutions providing highly specialized information to scientists and researchers.
This role is based in Amsterdam, reporting to the Head of UX.
- Contribute in designing processes to create best practices of UX design
- Be an integral part of the development team, actively involved in agile development processes and speaking up on behalf of the end users
- Ensure users are considered at every phase of the product development process, (optional planning and carrying out concept and usability testing), analyzing the outcomes, and translating them into insights informing designs
- Analyzing UI flows; provide expertly crafted UX documentation and design and guarantee the timely delivery of design documentation and assets
- Sketch, wire frame and prototype your designs using a variety of methods and tools and using prototypes to inform projects
- To treat all customers and colleagues with respect and to demonstrate a commitment to Elsevier’s Equal Opportunities Policy
- Bachelors or Master’s Degree in Graphic Design, Interaction Design or equivalent
- At least 3 years’ relevant experience in the field of UX
- Strong UX design skills in working with customer-facing digital products
- Having successfully delivered complex projects, designing software applications for online, working in agile teams
- Conceptual thinking, creativity, a high level of empathy for users, and commercial awareness, all at an excellent level
- Strong interaction and visual design skills. Experience with information design is a strong plus
- A thorough understanding of the technology behind web-based products
- Experience in designing accessible and responsive websites
- Possess enthusiasm and positive energy
- An outstanding portfolio must outline your design thinking abilities, solid visual design skills and practice, high quality final output
What we offer
We welcome you to a truly global, dynamic and challenging environment with great opportunities for personal development. Elsevier’s benefits are very competitive and the summary below will give you an idea of what you can expect when joining Elsevier in the Netherlands.
- Competitive salary and a 13th month
- 27 days of leave
- Attractive collective health care insurance package with considerable reduction rates
- Solid Pension Plan, with a choice between a collective pension plan an individual pension plan
- Profit share or bonus plan subject to the company annual results
- You can participate in the convertible personnel bond scheme
- Flexible working arrangements
- Travel allowance for commuting
- Reductions to several personal insurance packages due to our collective agreements
- Additional benefits, such as memberships to Elsevier’s magazines, discount on books and in-house sport facilities
- Numerous training, coaching and e-learning modules for long term job opportunities and development
- Several local and global networking communities to share best practices and knowledge
- Various social responsibility programs, channeling knowledge and strengths to help communities around the world improve education, science, health care and protect the environment.
An assessment or business case could be part of our selection procedure. A pre-employment screening will be part of our recruitment procedure.
Primary Location: Holland-Amsterdam
Employee Status: Regular