This week’s exploration of possible futures was curated with curiosity by Iñaki Escudero, Future Activist.
When it comes to diversity, have we changed enough? | Changes of Tomorrow
There is little doubt that more diversity and inclusiveness will make for a better future.
Recognizing our differences and embracing them as assets will help create more active members of a democracy.
Let’s explore some of the ways in which we are becoming more open to diversity, because like Linda Lambert once said, “one good conversation can shift the direction of change forever.”
What’s changing: Thursday, June 7th, 2018
- First things first: Mary Meeker released her much anticipated internet trends report. 294 slides full of wisdom and change, lots of change. Watch her presenting the report (33 min) or read the summary. (7 mins)
- Empathy is the first step towards understanding and walking a mile in somebody else’s shoes. A wonderful project by the empathy museum. Enjoy the video. (4:50 mins)
- No fantasy! Disney’s CODE: Rosie is a program that gives women at the company in non-technical roles an opportunity to switch careers. (8 mins)
- When it comes to gender equality, some things are changing! Here is a summary. (6 mins)
- More than 1000 men were asked about the #metoo movement. And it shows that they are listening… at least some of them. (10 mins)
- We need to celebrate disobedience to break out of the norm. MIT even rewards it with $250,000. Watch a video that defines disobedience (6 mins) and read the award details. (3 mins)
“There aren’t that many women with the right credentials and depth of experience to sit on the board — the issues covered are extremely complex”
From The worst excuses for not putting women on corporate boards on Fast Company.
Food for thought
Unconscious bias training programs are designed to expose people to their unconscious biases, provide tools to adjust automatic patterns of thinking, and ultimately eliminate discriminatory behavior. Test your unconscious bias
Starbucks closed all of its 8000 US stores last week to get this type of training.